Glaucoma is one of the leading causes of blindness in the United States affecting more than three million Americans. It is caused by pressure in the eye that damages the optic nerve. Risk factors can increase the probabilities of developing the disease.
- family history
- over age 60
- African-American and/or Hispanic descent over age 40
- medical conditions including high blood pressure, diabetes heart disease, migraines, and sickle cell anemia
- previous eye injury or some eye surgeries
- high eye pressure detected during an eye exam
- corneas that are thin in the center
- farsighted or nearsighted
If you are at risk of developing Glaucoma, this is even more of a reason to not skip your eye appointment. Early detection is key. Contact Grosinger, Spigleman & Grey today to schedule your appointment.